If you’re working toward a biochemistry degree, then don’t go any further until you read this article. Set your sights on the perfect career path and start making money quicker. Here’s the who, what, when, why, and how you get it done.
Who is a biochemistry degree good for?
This degree focuses on the complexities of life at a chemical and/or molecular level. Most often, biochem majors find the highest-paying jobs in medicine, biotechnology, or food services.
What classes do I have to take to get it?
To get a biochemistry degree, you have to go to the right college. Then, you must sign up for the right classes when you get there. So, talk to an admissions counselor for more information on which courses to take for your ideal job.
Meanwhile, prepare to attend classes on things like cell biology, genetics, evolution, and ecology. You might even be asked to take math or physics courses depending on your career path. Of course, you’re required to take chemistry classes too.
Keep in mind that your school choice will affect your job prospects. So, try online classes or hire a tutor to help. You may be able to graduate sooner and for a lot less money that way.
3 good schools for a biochemistry degree
This school has the biggest endowment of them all. That means you’ll get access to industry-leading resources and networks.
Here, you’ll find state-of-the-art labs and get to work with high technologies in the biochemistry field because this school is known for its up-t0-the-minute approach to science.
This institution provides high-level instruction and intimate class sizes. Plus, they now have some of their courses offered online.
For more information on any of those schools, contact the admissions department directly. In the meantime, land higher-paying gigs by furthering your education. If needed, check out Pearson Mastering Biology™ for some tutoring and guidance.
How do I find a good job with a biochemistry degree?
You can get many different jobs with these credentials. In fact, biochemistry majors are some of the highest-paid pros in science. So, find a good job by looking at these top 5 options first:
- Chemistry Professor – You have to get at least a master’s degree to land this gig, but it’s worth it with an average salary of about $97,000 a year.
- Chemical Safety Engineer – You may need additional training for this job. But, you’ll end up earning an average salary of nearly $73,000 a year if you do.
- Forensic Lab Tech – You’ll only make an average salary of between $35,000 and $45,000 a year. But, you can start this job right after finishing school because it’s an entry-level position.
- Science Writer – You can earn an average salary of nearly $63,000 a year just for writing about scientific discoveries. You might have to train with an editing staff member, though.
- Environmental Chemist – You’ve got a chance to make an average salary of as much as $74,000 a year. However, that’s only if you work for the right team and undergo special training.
When to get a biochemistry degree
You should get this degree in stages. That means starting with an associate’s and then working your way up. Most of the top biochemistry jobs require at least a bachelor’s degree though.