If you are wanting a career in biochemistry, you will likely want to attend one of the best biochemistry schools in the nation. A degree in biochemistry opens numerous career opportunities for graduating students. However, earning a degree from a top ranking school in the nation will make your resume stand out from the rest.
Careers in Biochemistry
Numerous careers are available for biochemistry degree holders. In addition, common career industry opportunities include jobs in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and government laboratories. Typically, biochemists hold a Ph.D. in biochemistry. However, entry-level positions in this field may be available for bachelor’s and master’s degree holders. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, biochemists make an average salary of about $94,500 per year. Most biochemists work in research laboratories in the federal or private sectors. Yet, some may prefer to work in environmental studies.
Top 5 Best Biochemistry Schools
As top universities compete for the best students to attend their classes, experts rank these universities using factors such as academic research, test scores, and students’ success rate. According to US News, here are the top 5 best biochemistry schools in the country.
- Harvard University- Harvard holds the top score in rankings in the United States for their biology and biochemistry degree programs. With an enrollment rate at almost 21,000 students, Harvard holds global and subject scores at 100.0.
- Massachusetts Institue of Technology (MIT) – MIT holds the second top score in rankings. MIT’s enrollment rate is around 11,000 students and they hold a subject score of 91.1. However, their global score tops at 98.4.
- Stanford University- Stanford ranks number three in the nation for their biology and biochemistry division. With a subject score of 88.4, their global score earns their ranking at 94.9. Stanford University has an enrollment rate of about 16,000 students.
- University of California- Berkeley- UC Berkely ranks number 4 in the nation with an impressive enrollment rate of about 41,000 students. This division of the University of California holds a subject score of 82.9 but maintains a global sore in the nineties of 90.3.
- University of Cambridge- The University of Cambridge and the San Fransisco division of the University of California tie for fifth in national rankings. With an enrollment rate of about 19,000 students, Cambridge also ranks number nine in Best Global Universities. The University of Cambridge holds a subject score of 80.6 and a global score of 85.5.
How to Get into the Best Biochemistry Schools
Preparing to apply to one of the top-ranking universities in the nation starts as early as high school. Being a top-ranking university, the application and acceptance process can be lengthy and highly competitive. Likewise, taking advanced placement courses in high school and receiving competitive scores in academics and testing will help you advance in the acceptance process of these top universities. Visit the university’s official website for prerequisite and academic requirements to attend their biochemistry degree programs.
While attending the best biochemistry schools may advance your career opportunities, many local colleges offer biochemisty majors, as well. Therefore, you are able to earn a degree in biochemistry at any viable institution. Nevertheless, earning a degree from a top ranking university can lead to exceptional career opportunites in the future.